Sunday, March 26, 2017

Baby Shirt Tutorial


Today we are going to make a cute Easter shirt. This is a great project for when you are strapped for cash bust still want a super adorable outfit for a party, photo shoot, or just for every day.  I used a sewing machine to make the process go a bit faster, but if you have the time and patience then you can use a hand needle and thread.

What you will need for this project;
💛 Fabric, of your choice (I choose broadcloth with an Easter print that I got from Hobby Lobby
. Broadcloth is extremely easy to work with especially if this is your first time sewing.
💛 Thread
💛 Sewing machine or hand needle
💛 Scissors
💛 Tape Measure
💛 Iron
💛 Pins
💛 Snap Closure or Elastic
💛 Any extra embellishments (optional)
💛 Double Folded BiasTape (optional)

First, you want to measure your baby's chest, you will need a tape measure to do this. With you baby lying down wrap the tape measure around their chest. For my LO I got 19inches. I added an extra inch for seam allowance. I then with my fabric I cut 2 identical pieces. This will be the front and back of your shirt. For mine, the top measurement of the pieces is 10, the bottom is 18 and each side is 9. The 10 comes from half of my LO's chest measurement. The bottom was 4 inches longer on each side than the top (10+4+4=18). The sides came from how long I wanted the shirt to come down plus an inch for seam allowance.  After measuring out your fabric you should come out with a trapezoid. Cut 2 trapezoids with the same dimensions.

Now we are going to finish our edges. You can use double folded bias tape or you can double fold the fabric like I did and use an iron to make your creases before sewing. If you are using an iron make sure your fabric can withstand the heat and won't melt. First, you want to fold over your bottom edge of your first trapezoid and iron that down. Then fold it over again so you can longer see the rough edge and iron that down. Repeat this for just the top and bottom edges of both of your trapezoids (NOT the sides).
One Fold
2nd Fold


Now to sew those sides down. I have a Singer Patchwork machine so I chose a cute leaf stitch but any stitch will work for this. Taking your machine or needle and thread tack down the sides you just ironed.

Once that is complete you can sew your 2 pieces together. Make sure you place your fabric with the print side facing each other before sewing. This is so when you sew your pieces, the seams are on the inside of the shirt. Pin them together, then using your machine or needle and thread sew the 2 raw edges together.


Once the 2 pieces are sewn together you can take the pins out and turn it right side out. now its time to add your closure. I'm suing some sew on snaps. The fist thing you want to do is decide what side you want to be the front. Then at the top of the back piece right in the middle cut it down 3 inches.

The like we did in the beginning, fold the raw edges down twice, iron, then sew to finish your seam.

This is a good time to try it on your little once to see where you need to add your closure. Once you add your closure you are done. If you want you can also add some embellishments to finish it off. I have this crystal button that I added to hide the stitching from the closure.




For bottoms, I took bloomers from another outfit or you can purchase some really nice cheap ones from NordeensBabyCouture. They have them in every color and they are really soft.

I hope this was a fun and easy project that gave you an opportunity to get creative and save some money.

Don't forget to follow my blog by clicking the Follow button at the bottom. Also, you can follow me on Facebook @Veggiemomster and on Instagram @Theveggiemomster.


No comments:

Post a Comment